Application deadline: October 16, 2022
The scholarship program France – South Africa is aimed at South African students who intend to study at universities or colleges in France Masters or PhD. The program is also open to students from Lesotho and Malawi.
The current call for applications is aimed at students who intend to start their studies in France Sep 2023. Applicants will be contacted individually if necessary. The list of winners and the waiting list will be announced according to the given schedule. Follow-up inquiries from applicants will not be answered.
Due to the differences between the Southern and Northern Hemisphere calendars, the award winners will complete a special program in South Africa from February 2023 to July 2023. This course includes online French courses organized by the Alliances Françaises network. Depending on the opportunities and profile of each awardee, it may also include an internship in French companies and organizations based in South Africa.
To be eligible for the France South Africa Scholarship Scheme, applicants must:
- Born on or after 01.01St January 1992.
- A South African, Basothoan or Malawian national.
- Be (in time) enrolled in a French university to pursue a master’s degree or doctorate.
The scholarship is granted for a fixed period in France, correspond to the time required to obtain the degree:
- For the master’s degree, the scholarship is granted for a period of between 10 and 22 months. Master’s courses last two years. In some special cases (e.g. bachelor’s degree with distinction), students can apply directly for M2 (second year of the master’s program). The receiving university is solely responsible for admission. At the end of the first year of study, the French Embassy verifies the student’s success in continuing his/her studies in the second year of the Master’s course.
- For doctoral students, the scholarship is granted for a maximum period of 3 years. However, at the end of each academic year, the recipient must justify the progress of their research work in order to receive their grant renewal.
- In the case of a doctorate under co-supervision/cotutelle, periods of residence in France must be given. The scholarship is only granted for the periods spent in France.
- If the syllabus for PhD and Masters degrees requires coursework to take place outside of France, the applicant must provide full details and intentions during the application process.
Two programs are possible under the France South Africa Scholarship Program:
A full scholarship from the Embassy of France. It contains:
- French government grantee status, which includes social security, priority access to student housing, visa fee waiver and support from Campus France Paris.
- The payment of tuition fees not exceeding €5000 per year.
- A return ticket to France.
- A monthly allowance (approx. 700 euros for master’s students and 1400 euros for doctoral students).
- An additional individual housing allowance (approx. 150 euros/month) can be requested from the French government.
In the second scheme of a Cost Sharing Scholarshipthe monthly grant is provided in whole or in part by a partner (a partner on the advisory board, a company, a university or another funding body). All other benefits of a full scholarship will continue to be provided by the French Embassy. This scheme can be suggested by the candidate during the application process or by the Advisory Board for some of the award winners. In this latter case, preselected applicants must follow the instructions of the French Embassy to secure co-funding.
- This program is open to all majors.
- Applicants are invited Read the rule book carefully for the France – South Africa scholarship program and the frequently asked questions.
- You can also find more information about higher education institutions and study programs in France on the Campus France South Africa website
- This year, the call for entries is open between mid-April 2022 and October 16, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. SE time.
- The 2022 webinar season, organized by Campus France South Africa, will provide students with all the useful information to prepare their applications
- Interview of suitable candidates: November 2022Results: late November/early December 2022
- Specific program in South Africa (online French courses and possible internship): February 2023 – July 2023
- Departure for France: early September 2023
For more informations:
Visit the France South Africa Scholarship Program 2022/2023 Official Website