Peculiarities of the building application process – Natural Self Esteem

Published: Release date – 4:31 p.m., Sunday – March 20 22

In our US Higher Education feature series last week, we discussed the importance of planning for US college applications ( We understood that planning for the applications should start about two to three years in advance. the start of the course. In today’s column, we discuss the specifics of this planning process based on the type of degree a student is applying for.

For undergraduate (bachelor’s degree) applicants, their grades are assessed from 9th to 12th standards along with standardized academic transcript test scores. Therefore, it is important to maintain a high grade point average (GPA) through all four school years. In addition to good grades, it is just as important to recognize sporting, cultural, volunteer experiences and other activities (quizzes, debating clubs, etc.) as early as possible and to actively participate in them. The ninth standard is a good time to start working on these aspects of your profile.

Typically, a bachelor’s degree applicant in the United States submits an application in the first few months of their 12th standard. This means that the standardized test and English skills, essays, letter of intent (if required) and letters of recommendation must be ready for submission by that time. The summer after the 11th standard is an ideal time to take all the standardized tests and work on design work. Therefore, preparation for standardized tests should begin as early as the 10th grade summer vacation.

Therefore, it is important that students use the last four years of their school efficiently to build a strong profile and be ready to apply by the start of Year 12 before the pressure for the board exams builds.

Graduate applicants usually submit their application in the first semester of the fourth year of their bachelor’s degree. So the 2nd year is a good time to start planning for the US masters application. Similar to a bachelor’s applicant, a graduate applicant must also prove their potential in the field of study. Therefore, it is very valuable to get involved in projects and pursue other relevant activities related to the subject from the 1st year of study.

The standardized test and English grades should ideally be completed by the 3rd year summer break. It is advisable to prepare a draft of the letter of motivation before the application deadline so that it can go through several rounds of review and revision before it is finally submitted. Submitting applications early and contacting faculty also go a long way in applying for faculty/university funding.

Monica Setia (Regional Officer and EducationUSA Advisor at the United States-India Educational Foundation, based at the US Consulate General Hyderabad. For more information, see

Questions and answers:
Q. I am interested in studying Journalism and Communication after completing my undergraduate degree in India? What type of programs and specializations are there in this field in the United States? Subhash Rao

A Colleges in the United States offer several majors in journalism and communications at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Students pursuing a graduate program in these fields can earn an MA (Master of Arts), MS (Master of Science) or PhD (Doctoral degree). You can either choose one of the two subject areas (journalism or communication) for your degree or complete your degree with a combination of both subject areas. Students interested in a research career can apply for a Ph.D. Program. The exact titles of degrees and specialization offerings vary by institution and academic program. You can choose between different areas of focus – public relations, editing, publishing, communication, technology in journalism and communication, etc.

Q. Our daughter is enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program in the United States and would like to transfer to a different program at a different university. Do we have to pay the SEVIS fee again? – Cavita

A If you are transferring between approved schools at the same educational level, you do not have to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee. If you are an F-1 student, your I-20 will have an initial visit to this school, but your SEVIS records show you have retained your status and are continuing your education. If you change your educational level during the transfer, you still do not have to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee. Some examples of such a switch are: you have your high school diploma and go straight to college, or you have your master’s degree and go straight to a doctoral program. We recommend that your daughter contact the International Student Office at her current university and ask the Designated School Official (DSO) on campus to make the necessary changes to her SEVIS records. This will help avoid problems in issuing visas, re-entering the United States and paying fees, etc.

Now you can get handpicked stories from Telangana today at telegram Every day. Click the link to sign up.

Click here to follow the Telangana Today Facebook page Twitter .

Leave a Comment